Our Week in Super Speed

I’m joining HeartLikeADog’s  Follow-Up Friday blog hop just because some posts need a little update…..


Monday and Tuesday are just a blur for me, and my living-in-the-now dogs.  I have no idea what happened on either of the two days.  Ah, but Wednesday and yesterday I remember well….

Wednesday was suture/staple removal day for Callie…hence my post “Happy Callie”…

Actually, she wasn’t all that happy because her colon was a bit irritated, and had been for more than just a few days.  But I had passed off the soft poo as the effects of stress from the surgery and the antibiotics, both of which have effected her in the past.  But on Wednesday morning when I saw a tapeworm crawling around in it, and a little bit of blood, I said “Oh sh**!”  Well, at least I knew what’s causing that problem, or so I thought but more on that in a minute… 

So, on Wednesday morning, I got the girls fed & pottied, got Ducky to daycare, and left Shadow home to “guard” the house and watch a movie on TCM.  (I have no idea which movie though so I can’t tell you even if you care.)  Somehow got Callie in the car – very carefully so as not to hurt her – and headed down to the surgeon at Upstate Veterinary Services (UVS for short).  The surgeon was actually doing surgery, so one of his vet techs took out the staples from Callie’s leg.  Wow!  What a difference it made in her walking ability!  I knew it would help, but I didn’t expect it to be that drastic! 

Anyway, I managed to get her back in the car without too much trouble, and then we headed up to our regular vet.  (UVS doesn’t have worming meds on hand since they are dedicated to specialized care, such as surgery and oncology.)  One of Dr. Steve’s vet assistants had the poo sample tested and then Doc prescribed Verbantel to kill off the little buggers.  Callie was happy she didn’t have to wear the cone/e-collar around her neck any more (so was I!), but she was obviously not feeling well.  She left most of her food in the morning.  Well, the Verbantel worked on the worms, but it seemed to upset Callie’s tummy.  She couldn’t even keep water down.  So, around 8 o’clock I gave her a little bit of the “FreshPet” refrigerated food that I had bought to try, thinking the kibble might be too strong for her tummy.  She seemed to be feeling better at bedtime, but I put a large “pooch pad” on the living room floor for her just in case. 

Thursday Morning….

Before I could get dressed and get the dogs outside for their first potty break, Callie had an accident (on the pad thank goodness!) and tossed her dinner.  Poor baby really was not feeling well – I could see it in her eyes, and she didn’t even offer a kiss to my hand when I patted her on the head. 

I called the vet and arranged to drop her off so they could observe her all day.  I was really concerned for her, to the point of tears, especially when I saw some more blood in her poo.  I couldn’t leave her home without hubby here to take her out again if she needed to go.  So, I got her in the car and took her up to the vet.  (His office is literally a 2-minute drive from the house, 5 minutes if you count time to get out of the driveway and waiting for red lights to turn green.)  Then I came home and fed Ducky and Shadow and took Ducky-Doodle down to her daycare so she could have some fun instead of dealing with Mommy’s irrational fears and Shadow’s moping. 

Shadow and I spent the day together mostly in the backyard trying to keep from going nuts.  When the vet finally called at 2:30, I nearly fell over the chair trying to get to the phone.  “Callie’s okay.  She has some gastroenteritis, nothing serious.  A little blood in the stool is normal in cases like this – nothing to worry about.”  I’ll spare you the rest of the details.  I picked her up at about 3:15 and got her settled on one of the dog beds in the living room.  Shadow was happy to have her home but a little concerned that she wasn’t obviously excited  to be back home.  But, after an injection of whatever the heck it was that Doc gave her, she looked a little better.  She slept most of the rest of the day and evening, and slept through the night without any accidents.  Thank Goodness!!  (And Shadow pouted because Callie didn’t want to play.)

Resting CalliePouting Shadow


Miss Callie isn’t 100% by any means, but she is feeling better.  She’s back to giving me kisses.  So, maybe between 50 & 75 percent.  I gave her one of her favorite toys – a stuffed frog that “ribits” when its tummy is squeezed – to keep her company while she sleeps….

Callie and Ribit

That about does it for us for this week.  I hear that sigh of relief…TMI (too much information)…but that’s okay.  I don’t mind.  This is the Follow-Up Friday blog hop…you know, the one that lets you wrap up your week and leads you right into the weekend.


5 thoughts on “Our Week in Super Speed

  1. Jodi says:

    Thanks for joining the FUF blog hop Sue (as you can tell I’m a bit behind in my reading.) So sorry to hear all that Callie has been through, do you have any idea where she got the worms from?

    Can she give them to the other dogs?

    I’ll be sending good thoughts your way that you have a better week this week! And that Callie is feeling herself. 🙂

    • Sams Northern Girl says:

      Hi Jodi! Don’t feel bad, I’m a bit behind in my reading, too! Oh well, that’s what happens when you have a life away from “Blogville”! 🙂

      Callie’s worms are dead and gone — thank goodness the anti-worm meds worked fast! — but whether Shadow & Ducky could have gotten them or not, I don’t know. I imagine they could have if I hadn’t been diligent about cleaning up after Callie AND making sure they got their Advantix II applied the day I saw the worm. Thankfully neither one did get the worms, or the gastroenteritis that big sister had.

      Thanks for the good thoughts! They have definitely helped, along with those of others and my own! Callie started really feeling better on Saturday afternoon — in fact, I had to stop her from trying to play with Shadow & Ducky. (Surgeon says no playing with little sisters, no running, no jumping, and no more than the 3 steps we have in the house until the leg is completely healed and rehabilitated.) I felt like a mean step mother, but had to do it.

  2. Donna says:

    How scary about Callie. So glad it was just a minor gastro issue and she is feeling better. Glad you saw the worms. They’re never fun.

    On a good note, it’s great that she’s already walking so much better now that the staples are out! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.